Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Twenty thirteen resolutions!


And just like that the calender switched back to January, 1st and we begin a new year all over again. 2012 with all its glorious moment and hardship, successes and failures is now part of the past and we begin on a clean slate.

Tonight  my heart overflows with thanks for all the possibilities that 2013 holds and my wish for 2013 is best explained by the quote below that I found on this lovely blog:

“I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something. So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life. Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it. Make your mistakes, next year and forever.” - Neil Gaiman

As for my resolutions, I decided that this year will be a year that I am good to myself and those around me. No restrictive resolutions forcing me to be perfect and to do things that I don't like doing and will probably end up not doing anyway. Instead, I chose resolutions that allows for glorious mistakes, to create, to grow, to live and to change for the better!


1. More fresh flowers please

2013 will be the year that I fill my little home with flowers. There are few things that gives me such joy as fresh flowers. Bought from the market, stolen from the neighbours garden, gifted, grown... in the end it doesn't really matter where they came from as much as the fact that they make a house feel like a home.

2. Photography classes

True story: I was in the registration row about to study Fine Arts when I decided that being an artist was not how I envisioned my life. At the young age of 19 I realised that being good at something doesn't necessary mean you like doing it, let alone love it enough to make a living from of it. So instead, I went to study a BA in all the subjects I love and this road a little less travelled made all the difference. I found my calling in life as a teacher and I am so thankful and blessed to do a job that I love.

Unfortunately teaching high school isn't always the most creative of occupations so early last year, when I received a SLR camera as a gift it was sort of life changing. Finally I found an art medium that was not as all consuming as painting or drawing but at the same time allowed for as much creativity and play. Photography has changed the way I view the world and I look at the mundane differently. 2013 will be the year that I develop this passion and I cannot be more excited to begin part-time photography classes I enrolled for this year!

3. Appreciating the little things in life more!

My cup runs over and every now and again I need to remind myself that I am the luckiest girl in the world for having the neediest cuddliest kitties, beautiful cups to drink my tea from, a balcony that looks into my neighbours pretty garden, a girl friend who loves decorating her classroom as much as I do, a sister who lives down the road from me and is the awesomest movie partner ever, a local library that is something out of "Beauty and the Beast" ....the list just goes on and on. You see, happiness lies in the small little things that we so often take for granted! I want notice these little pleasures more and enjoy them with glee.

4. Making more quality time for loved ones.

Weekly tea dates, movie nights, Saturday brunch, Skype calls -  I'm going to diarise it, put it in ink so that precious time wont be wasted on less important things.

5. A classic a month!

I've made my list and I intend to stick it

January - The Hobbit; February - The Great Gatsby; March - The Life of Pi; April - Anna Karenina; May - Watership Down, June - Emma, July - Metamorphosis; August - The Unbearable Lightness of Being; September - Middlemarch; October - Alice Adventures in Wonderland; November - The Lighthouse; December - A Tale of Two Cities.

6. Wearing my running shoes more.

Because exercise if fun, or so I keep telling myself. It's healthy, that's for sure. And I need to do my bit taking care of my temple -especially if I plan on sticking to nr. 7

7. Experimenting in the kitchen.

I want to be braver in the kitchen. Mistakes will be made. Lets hope for the best!

8. Thailand!!!

My sis and I are dreaming about palm beaches and Pina Colades. I am so excited about this. We both adore travelling but we've never travelled together. This will be a fantastic first!

9. New business ventures.

Watch this space!

And that's all!!!

I hope that your 2013 is a happy, exciting, blessed affair with lots of glorious mistakes!

No comments: