Saturday, January 5, 2013

5 Favorites on a Friday..uhm...Saturday: Bedtime rituals

Bedtime is a highlight in my daily routine. It is that time of the day that I can put aside all of the days responsibilities and finally unwind. I don't know a lot of women who don't like the rituals that goes along with getting ready for bed but in my family we have a special deep rooted love for this lenghty affair that can take well up to 3 hours.


 1. Bath time

In my world, bedtime starts with a lovely long bath which usually lasts until the water goes cold. I love bathing and I must have inherited it from my mother because we can lie in the tub for hours. Add some bath salts, a candle or a good book and I am in heaven. The apartment I live in has no shower, only a beautiful old bath so I can't feel to guilty about water wastage because really I have no choice. But to be honest, I'm kinda glad because I'm convinced that a good soak is one of life's loveliest luxuries.



2. A cuddle with the cats

Perhaps I never outgrew the girlish habits of sleeping with soft toys because I cannot fall asleep without a good cuddle. Only now, my cuddle partners are alive. Some people would cringe reading this but one of my favorite things in the world is to fall asleep with the purr of a cat curled up close by. In this abode, the rule of no animals on the bed really doesn't apply at all. In fact, one would think that the bed belong to the cats.  I can only hope that my future husband loves cats too otherwise we might have a serious problem. MUST.LOVE.CATS


3. Lets read!

I made a conscious decision not to allow a television in my home. I'm sure different people have different opinions about this but to me, watching TV is a time stealer. It is so easy to plonk down in front of that screen and the next thing you know a few hours has passed which couldve used on something way more constructive. Don't get me wrong - I love a good movie so whenever the mood strike, Ill grab a friend or family member to go to the cinema with me but other than that, I usually have a big heap of books on my bedside table and every night read a little (or a whole lot).

  
4. Sipping on a warm drink!

Chamomile, Rooibos, warm milk with honey, tea, Milo, Horlicks..... These are subject to mood, weather and emotional state of being! Also whether I remembered to buy milk or not!


 5. Say a little prayer.

I am a big believer in the power of prayer and try to pray throughout the day, not only just before bed. To me, it's a conversation more than a ritual; a grateful, humble way of living rather than something I have to do.  There is, however, something extremely comforting about falling asleep whilst conversing in the comfort of  conversation with God.

Hope you have a happy day!

No comments: