Monday, January 2, 2012

30 Things before Thirty # 2: Learning to Dance


Couple dancing is quite big here in South Africa. At most weddings or any other formal functions, the opportunity to dance arise. Most South African youths learn to do it round about the time they go to high school. For some reason I never got the memo though. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I went through high school, university and my early twenties dodging any dancing opportunity that might arise.
Its not a case that I didn't want to dance, really, its quite the opposite. I longed to dance but feeling extremely self-conscious about my inability to do so, I preferred watched from the side.
Luckily Chris wouldn't stand for it and took it upon himself to teach me ...and after getting over the most self-consciousness...it happened.
I CAN DANCE.
(happy dance)
And it wasn't half as hard as I thought it would be.

(it does help to have an amazing dancing instructor/partner though!)

No comments: